Thursday, August 21, 2008

FREEDOM!


You cannot underestimate how important this is to me. This simple SUV (I'm not allowed to refer to it as a car. There is a difference, you know) is my escape from my villa, where I have been spending all my days. I drove, for the first time, yesterday, to the mall (with all 3 kids, yes, but that is a different story.) It's a little scary driving in Doha. Lots of roundabouts, no street names that you can rely on, trying to find landmarks that identify where you are. (Oh look, there's the white stucco building - or wait, is it that one?)


I didn't get lost. I had written out directions on a piece of paper so Kathryn could navigate me from the back seat. We ate at Subway! And then we came promptly back home. But I did it. And I didn't get lost.


Gas is so very inexpensive here, and you really must have a bigger car so no one bullies you on the road. It is very common to have a ubiquitous Toyota Land Cruiser come barrelling up behind you driving way too fast. Cars pull out in front of you with no warning. Lane markings come and go. Turn lanes? Apparently not for everyone. Construction everywhere. But I am set in my had-be-white Nissan Pathfinder.


Now, if only school would start.

No comments: